avro-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: State of the C++ vs Java implementations
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:56:48 GMT
Does the C++ implementation track the Java development closely?  I'm seeing discussion of a
new Decimal encoding in the mailing list, and it would be bad for us to commit to the C++
Avro, and then find that our customers have created Avro files (using Java, MapReduce, etc)
that we can't read.  We don't have control over what files we encounter, and it is desirable
for our product to read whatever a customer throws at it, within reason.
Thanks,
John

From: John Lilley [mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:46 AM
To: user@avro.apache.org; Steve.Roehrs@rlmgroup.com.au
Subject: RE: State of the C++ vs Java implementations

Steve,

Thanks so much for the reply.  I hope that I can inconvenience you for a little more guidance.
 We want to read and write Avro data files whose schema is not known until run-time, when
we read the file metadata and transform that into our own internal record structure.  So we
are not mapping to a C++ struct/class with defined compile-time members.  We just want to
loop over the records and columns in the data file, transforming them serially.  Can this
be done without incurring the performance penalty of GenericDatum that you speak of?

Different question: do you know if the full complement of compression codecs is available
in C++?  We don't need "everything possible", but we want to be able to read 99.9% of files
that we are likely to encounter in practice.

Thanks
John