avro-user mailing list archives

From Josh Buffum <jbuf...@gmail.com>
Subject aliasing items in the default namespace
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2014 00:01:33 GMT
I've searched quite a bit and haven't found an answer to this question.

Is there a way for me to create a new record (with a namespace) using an
old record name (with no namespace) as an alias?

{ "name" : "record1", type="record"... }

{ "namespace" : "some.namespace",
  "name" : "record2",
  "type": "record",
  "aliases: ["record1"]
}

The goal is to read .avro files written with the "record1" schema as
objects of type some.namespace.record2.

According to the documentation, the alias of "record1" will automatically
inherit the namespace of "record2" so the alias is really
"some.namespace.record1". How do I make it just "record1" and still have
the second record in a namespace ("some.namespace.record2")?

Thanks.

Josh