avro-user mailing list archives

From Irfan Ahmad <ir...@cloudphysics.com>
Subject Re: Avro RPC
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 00:58:07 GMT
On this thread from last year, are there any further pointers on using
websockets as the transport layer for Avro?

FromConnor Doyle <connor....@gmail.com>SubjectRe: Avro RPCDateWed, 29
May 2013 18:36:31 GMT

In the parlance of the relevant section of the Avro specification
("Protocol Wire Format"),
I'm talking about a stateful connection.  The agreed-upon client and
server protocol versions
are part of the connection state, as are the pending requests at each
client.  By tagging
each request with a sequence number we can allow responses to roll in
asynchronously.  We
encode this identifier as an Avro long in the metadata map sent with
each message, as laid
out in the spec for the call format.  In our case, we're using a web
socket connection as
the transport layer.
--
Connor

On May 29, 2013, at 12:50, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Didn't know Avro RPC could maintain a persistent connection. Would you mind elaborating
on your use case?

> On May 29, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Connor Doyle <connor.p.d@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Avro RPC can be _dramatically_ more compact, especially when used over a persistent
connection.  We use binary avro RPC over a WebSocket connection.  The
overhead for each request
is a tiny blob of metadata and the message name.  This compares very
favorably with a full
set of HTTP headers for each message.  Another advantage we see is
that with a persistent
connection we can handle responses asynchronously; quickly serviced
requests don't have to
wait for slow ones.  It all depends on the details of your use case, however.
>> --
>> Connor
>>
>> On May 29, 2013, at 11:30, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Very basic question but could one explain why one would choose Avro RPC over
something like a simple restful service over HTTP?

>>> The only thing I can think of is it adds a little more structure to the request/response
and slightly more compact. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. As
far as the response goes
though, couldn't you simply return an Avro message from a restful http
service and have the
client parse it if you wanted more structure?