avro-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Tabora <ratab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MapReduce: Using Avro Input/Output Formats without Specifying a schema
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 18:13:06 GMT
Hey Fengyun and all,

It seems like the AvroMultipleOutputs API is broken when trying to use a large number of schemas
(I am using ~55 schemas total size ~4MB). Why do I have to specify the output schemas using
the AvroJob API if they are already added using the AvroMultipleOutputs API?

import org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroKey;
import org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroJob;
import org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroKeyOutputFormat;
import org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroMultipleOutputs;

AvroMultipleOutputs API
for (FileStatus schemaStatus : schemasStatus) {
	String schemaContent = readFile(fs, schemaStatus.getPath());
	Schema schema = parser.parse(schemaContent);
	AvroMultipleOutputs.addNamedOutput(job,
			schema.getName().replace("_", ""),
			AvroKeyOutputFormat.class, schema);
	schemas.add(schema);
}

AvroJob API
AvroJob.setOutputKeySchema(job, Schema.createUnion(schemas));

The problem I am running into is a OOM exception in the Reducer when I’m trying to write
to the AvroMultipleOutputs. It seems like the AvroMultipleOutputs class is putting my giant
schema union into memory via a HashMap.

2014-05-01 10:27:45,337 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child: Error running child : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
GC overhead limit exceeded
	at java.util.HashMap.createEntry(HashMap.java:901)
	at java.util.HashMap.addEntry(HashMap.java:888)
	at java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:509)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema$UnionSchema.<init>(Schema.java:824)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema.parse(Schema.java:1221)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema.parse(Schema.java:1148)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema.parse(Schema.java:1148)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema.parse(Schema.java:1220)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema$Parser.parse(Schema.java:981)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema$Parser.parse(Schema.java:971)
	at org.apache.avro.Schema.parse(Schema.java:1020)
	at org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroJob.getOutputKeySchema(AvroJob.java:184)
	at org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroKeyOutputFormat.getRecordWriter(AvroKeyOutputFormat.java:85)
	at org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroMultipleOutputs.getRecordWriter(AvroMultipleOutputs.java:445)
	at org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroMultipleOutputs.write(AvroMultipleOutputs.java:407)
	at org.apache.avro.mapreduce.AvroMultipleOutputs.write(AvroMultipleOutputs.java:367)
	at com.ryantabora.mapreduce.SerializerReducer.reduce(SerializerReducer.java:52)
	at com.ryantabora.mapreduce.SerializerReducer.reduce(SerializerReducer.java:20)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Reducer.run(Reducer.java:177)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.runNewReducer(ReduceTask.java:649)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.run(ReduceTask.java:418)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1190)

Why is AvroMultipleOutputs even looking at the AvroJob output key schema definition? Can’t
it just pull the schema from my named outputs?

Regards,
Ryan Tabora
http://ryantabora.com