avro-user mailing list archives

From Fengyun RAO <raofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Is it possible to write a magic byte in Avro file head?
Date Thu, 15 May 2014 12:44:50 GMT
I have a cache file using Avro serialization, and I want to add a magic
byte indicating cache version at the beginning of the file.
I find it's easy to serialize, but difficult to deserialize in C#.
First I open a filestream, read my magic byte, and then pass the stream to
the DataFileReader:

var reader = DataFileReader<Dictionary<string,
MyType>>.OpenReader(stream, CACHE_SCHEMA)

but it throws an AvroRuntimeException("Not an Avro data file")

I look into the OpenReader() method:

  // verify magic header
  byte[] magic = new byte[DataFileConstants.Magic.Length];
  inStream.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);

It will always seek back to the beginning of the FileStream (which includes
my own byte), and thus throws an Exception.

However, in java version, I could use DataFileStream which wouldn't
seek back and it works.

Is there a way to make it work in C# version? I also wonder why there
isn't an equivalent "DataFileStream" class in C#.