avro-user mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Catch 22 when obtaining Fields and Objects
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2014 18:57:20 GMT
Hi Folks,
Right now over in Gora [0] we write data down into Byte[] before persisting
an object into a back end datastore.
We use Avro for our serialization.
The question I would like to pose is as follows

In Gora we can do a get on objects as follows

public T get(K key, String[] fields)

If no field arguments are provided then we query ALL fields.

If however we query for say two string fields "name" and "age" we still
need to obtain Field's for the entire object (as they are stored as Byte[])
then sort things out on our end.

Is there a better way we could/should be doing this?

For example, in our gora-dyhamodb store, we simply put objects in their
native types and we let DynamoDB deal with the best way to serde the data.
We are looking to simulate this across all supported data stores therefore
some discussion from this list would be excellent in enabling us to make a
more informed decision.
Thanks in advance.
Lewis
[0] http://gora.apache.org