avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modeling Common Fields?
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:49:35 GMT
This might be handled using GenericData.  You'd specify no reader
schema when you create your GenericDatumReader so the in-memory data
is represented using the same schema it was written with.  Then use
GenericRecord#put & get to access the fields you require.

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/generic/GenericRecord.html

Might that work?

Doug

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Matan Amir <mamir@apple.com> wrote:
> Hi Avro experts :)
>
> I was searching for an answer in the group already and didn’t find something that I
recognized as the answer to this so I apologize if i’m asking something that has been answered
frequently.

> Let’s say I had a Java library that would send out Avro data over the wire.  However,
the library would not own the Avro schemas nor know what the schemas were in advance.  The
library only required that the schemas contain two specific fields that it would then set
on the way out - like a string field and a timestamp.

> What is the best way to model this for Avro?  In protobufs this is modeled with a base
schema and “extensions” which third parties would use to include their specific fields.
 Is there a way in Avro to get the same result?