avro-user mailing list archives

From Robert Turner <rob...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Re: Clarification of getSchema()#getIndexNamed(fieldName) in Avro 1.7.5 Java API
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:12:12 GMT
Hi Lewis,

The method *getIndexNamed* is only used for *Union* schemas and gives the
index of the union's type, so 0 for "null" and 1 for "string" in this case.
The *persistent.getSchema()* returns the *Record Schema* in this case and
the get *getField* method on that gets the field. *Fields* however are not
*Schemas* so you have to call the *schema() *method to get that. If you
wanted the index of the "string" union you would call the following:

     int unionIndex = persistent.getSchema().getField(fieldName).*schema()*.
getIndexNamed("string");

But this is not what you want, I think, so the following is the best way as
you have discovered:

    int fieldIndex = persistent.getSchema().getField(fieldName).pos();

Regards
   Rob Turner.

--
Cheers