avro-user mailing list archives

From "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <kulkarni.swar...@gmail.com>
Subject GenericDatumReader and datum reuse
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:07:34 GMT
Hello,

While going thorough the API for GenericDatumReader, I came across this
read[1] method and it wasn't immediately clear to me as to what the "reuse"
of the datum really means.

So for instance if I have an evolving schema, should this datum be created
from the readerSchema or the writerSchema. So something like:

record = new GenericData.Record(readerSchema); // created with readerSchema

GenericDatumReader<GenericRecord> gdr =
newGenericDatumReader<GenericRecord>(writerSchema, readerSchema);

record = gdr.read(record, binaryDecoder);

Or is it better to simply leave it off as null?

record = gdr.read(null, binaryDecoder);

Thanks,

[1]
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.7.4/api/java/org/apache/avro/generic/GenericDatumReader.html#read(D,