avro-user mailing list archives

From graham sanderson <gra...@vast.com>
Subject Re: Generating snappy compressed avro files as hadoop map reduce input files
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2013 18:16:56 GMT
If you're using hadoop, why not use AvroSequenceFileOutputFormat - this works fine with snappy
(block level compression may be best depending on your data)

On Oct 13, 2013, at 10:58 AM, David Ginzburg <davidg@inner-active.com> wrote:

> As mentioned in http://stackoverflow.com/a/15821136 Hadoop's snappy codec just doesn't
work with externally generated files.

> Can files generated by DataFileWriter  serve as input files for a map reduce job, specially
EMR jobs ?

data are stored after the map phase.

> However, I guess you are looking for a DataFileWriter and its setCodec function.
> http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/DataFileWriter.html#setCodec%28org.apache.avro.file.CodecFactory%29
>
> Regards
>
> Bertrand
>
> PS : A snappy-compressed avro file is not a standard file which has been compressed afterwards
but really a specific file containing compressed blocks. This principle is similar to the
SequenceFile's. Maybe that's what you mean by different snappy codec?

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM, David Ginzburg <davidg@inner-active.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing an application that produces avro record files , to be stored on AWS S3
as possible input to EMR.
> I would like to compress with snappy codec before storing them on S3.
> It is my understanding that hadoop currently uses a different snappy codec, mostly used
as intermediate map output format .