avro-user mailing list archives

From Bill Baird <bill.ba...@traxtech.com>
Subject Re: Avro file Compression
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:47:33 GMT
As with any compression, how much you get depends on the size and nature of
the data.  I have objects where unserialized they take 4 or 5k, and they
serialize to 1.5 to 3k, or about 2 to 1.  However, for the same object
structure (which contains several nested arrays ... lots of strings,
numbers ... basic business data) when uncompressed it 17MB, it deflates to
1MB (or 17 to 1).  For very small objects, deflate will actually produce a
larger output, but it does quite well as the size of the data being
deflated grows.

Bill