avro-user mailing list archives

From "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reader / Writer terminology
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2013 05:16:12 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Scott Carey wrote:

> In a more general sense it is simply "from" and "to" -- One might move
> from schema A to B without serialization at all, transforming a data
> structure, or simply want a view of data in the form of A as if it was
> in B.

I'd like to zoom in on this specific point for a little, if I may.

I think serialization is a red herring. It's always a transformation of
one data structure to another, because a claim could be made that one
cannot transform a serialized form without loading it into a data
structure first.

In fact, I think it's always the latter case, a *view*, as you aptly
described it. Which makes it not so much a "from" and "to", but more a
"view A as B"?

Something like:

value_b = value_a.view_as(schema_b)

Just my late-night $0.02.