avro-user mailing list archives

From Connor Doyle <connor....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Avro RPC
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 17:08:15 GMT
Avro RPC can be _dramatically_ more compact, especially when used over a persistent connection.
 We use binary avro RPC over a WebSocket connection.  The overhead for each request is a tiny
blob of metadata and the message name.  This compares very favorably with a full set of HTTP
headers for each message.  Another advantage we see is that with a persistent connection we
can handle responses asynchronously; quickly serviced requests don't have to wait for slow
ones.  It all depends on the details of your use case, however.
--
Connor

On May 29, 2013, at 11:30, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very basic question but could one explain why one would choose Avro RPC over something
like a simple restful service over HTTP?

> The only thing I can think of is it adds a little more structure to the request/response
and slightly more compact. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. As far as the response goes
though, couldn't you simply return an Avro message from a restful http service and have the
client parse it if you wanted more structure?