avro-user mailing list archives

From Mark <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Avro right for me?
Date Sun, 26 May 2013 16:39:02 GMT
Yes our central server would be Hadoop.

Exactly how would this work with flume? Would I write Avro to a file source which flume would
then ship over to one of our collectors  or is there a better/native way? Would I have to
include the schema in each event? FYI we would be doing this primarily from a rails application.

Does anyone ever use Avro with a message bus like RabbitMQ?

On May 23, 2013, at 9:16 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Yep. Avro would be great at that (provided your central consumer is Avro friendly, like
a Hadoop system).  Make sure that all of your schemas have default values defined for fields
so that schema evolution will be easier in the future.

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're thinking about generating logs and events with Avro and shipping them to a central
collector service via Flume. Is this a valid use case?