avro-user mailing list archives

From sammefford <...@mefford.org>
Subject Where are the rows in Trevni format?
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:26:18 GMT
I read the Trevni Specificaiton:
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.7.4/trevni/spec.html
and I can't see where the row ids are stored for each value in each column.
Am I missing something obvious?  Is the spec incomplete on that point?

Also, to confirm, my understanding is columnar formats are efficient because
they store column values sorted and can thereby find specific values or
ranges of values quickly.  While the spec mentions the benefits of sorting,
I don't see a requirement that column values be sorted.  Can we depend that
the blocks of column values are sorted?

Thanks,

Sam Mefford
Chief Architect-Big Data Solutions