avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Arthur <sart...@salesforce.com>
Subject Avro cross-version serialization format compatibility
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:26:53 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about serialization compatibility across Avro versions.  I'm looking to
deploy a product across my organization that uses Avro to package messages.  Existing products
in the organization already have a customized Avro library a few versions old.  I've been
trying to determine if, for example, a message serialized with Avro 1.3.0 will be deserializeable
with version 1.7.4 if they use the same schema definition.  I found the Change Log<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel&allVersions=true>
page, and it looks like the last version where there were "incompatible changes" outside the
API was version 1.3.0.  However, I didn't find any resource on the Avro pages or the net that
specifically went through changes to the serialization format for different Avro releases.
 So, is what I'm asking possible?  Is there any resource where I can find information about
breaking changes between Avro versions?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Arthur