avro-user mailing list archives

From Josh Spiegel <jojsp...@gmail.com>
Subject AvroKeyInputFormat Writer Schema
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:55:36 GMT
Hi,

I am using AvroKeyInputFormat.  I have not specified a reader schema.  From
my mapper, I would like to access the schema that was used to write the
container file (i.e. the writer schema).

Is there a way to do this?

If not, is this a reasonable enhancement request?

It does look like I could use FileSplit#getPath() to access the container
file manually and pull out the schema.  This may work but it seems a shame
to do this work when it looks like the schema has already been pulled out
by AvroRecordReaderBase#createAvroFileReader(...)

Also, I suppose you can always derive the effective schema from the datum
when reading records, primitives, etc.  However, it seems difficult to
derive a schema when dealing with a list or map container file.  And, it
seems impossible when dealing with a union type container.

Thanks!
Josh