avro-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <tsalora...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Design decision question about the Avro Java API
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:00:00 GMT
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Francis Galiegue <fgaliegue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, to have user code be aware that it can fail, for one ;)
>>
>> Unchecked exceptions are no uncatchable exceptions, so you can catch
>> them as well as checked ones can't you?
>>

> Sure, but this is not good practice for one, and it can lead to very
> nasty surprises when it fails -- in production, otherwise it's not
> funny ;)
>
> I catch it right now, but I'd rather my IDE tells me that "hey, it can
> fail here, deal with that" -- and I do.

I do not have strong opinion myself on check vs unchecked exceptions,
but just so know, many Java developers are religiously AGAINST use of
checked exceptions, and consider their use a bad practice.
At best it can be said that this is a controversial question. Feel
free to google to see what I mean.

So it is good to be careful when claiming (as a fact) that doing
something is a bad practice.
It might just be your personal preference.

-+ Tatu +-