avro-user mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject New version of Avro tap for Cascading
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:41:44 GMT
Hi all,

Cross-posting Chris Sever's recent post to the Cascading list…

-- Ken

> Hi everyone,
>
> We put out a new shiny version of cascading.avro. It's a mash of the previous cascading.avro
and cascading-avro projects with some new features.
> https://github.com/bixolabs/cascading.avro
>
> Highlights:
> - Read avros without specifying a schema (can't do this with write yet but it's in the
works)
> - Construct the AvroScheme with either an avro schema (new style) or by specifying a
list of fields and types (old style).
> - Supports all avro types (except union of two non-null types), including nested records
as cascading tuples.
> - User can specify avro maps and arrays either with a cascading tuple or a java list/map.

> - New option to tell cascading avro to not pack or unpack your avros when reading/writing.
Use this if you want the actual Avro Record in hand or you provide a single output field containing
an Avro record (similar to how WritableSequenceFile is handled).

> 2.1 is up on conjars now:
> http://conjars.org/cascading.avro/avro-scheme
>
> Here is a quick modification of the Cascading for the Impatient lessons 1 and 2 using
Avro:
> https://gist.github.com/3975481
>
> Please give it a shot and let us know what breaks.

http://about.me/kkrugler
+1 530-210-6378