avro-user mailing list archives

From Mark Hayes <m...@greybird.com>
Subject Re: ReflectDatumReader and Writer classes
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:09:09 GMT
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Peter Cameron <peter.cameron@2icworld.com>wrote:

> "This API is not recommended except as a stepping stone for systems that
> currently uses Java interfaces to define RPC protocols. For new RPC
> systems, the specific<http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.7.0/api/java/org/apache/avro/specific/package-summary.html>API
is preferred. For systems that process dynamic data, the
> generic<http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.7.0/api/java/org/apache/avro/generic/package-summary.html>API
is probably best."

> What I'm confused by is the assertion that the generic API is "probably
> best" for processing dynamic data.

I am still fairly new to Avro but I think what the warning in the docs is
trying to say is that the Specific API is better for static data, because
reflection is slower.  If you're representing data using a Java bean, then
your data is static (known at build time).

--mark