avro-user mailing list archives

From Sameer Deokule <sdeok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: runtime error when casting Array<String> to String[]
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:02:26 GMT
Hello,

  Is mapping of avro arrays to java arrays instead of lists, still being
planned?

Thanks
Sameer

From: Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com>
To: "user@avro.apache.org" <user@avro.apache.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:09:02 -0700
Subject: Re: runtime error when casting Array<String> to String[]
acceptlanguage: en-US

On 4/27/11 11:26 AM, "Markus Weimer" <weimer@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>HI,
>
>> I am working on tools for Avro that will make Alternate object mappings
>>easier.  I hope this will land in 1.6.0.  Custom specific compiled
>>variants will more easily leverage all the work unrelated to object type
>>mapping.
>
>Nice! Will that allow me to have an array of floats in the schema and
>receive it as a float[] in the compiled java class?

It will allow users to create custom mappings easier, one of which might
be that avro arrays that map to java array types instead of List.  A few
basic mapping types might find their way into Avro if they are contributed.

The Specific compiler has been templatized for a while now, and users can
create their own code templates that produces classes as they like, but
writing a custom SpecificDatum(Reader|Writer) requires knowing a lot about
things unrelated to the mapping of Avro types to Java types.

Creating a custom mapping isn't always trivial, but having it be a
separate concern from schema translation and resolution, and low level
encoding/decoding operations will allow for greater code re-use and
modular composition.