avro-user mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: Paranamer issue
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:58:28 GMT
Just to chime in on Peter's email, I hit the same stumbling block as well, and had to go hunt
it down.   Any chance the class could be rolled into Avro directly?

On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Peter Cameron wrote:

> I've only just discovered the dependancy of Avro upon the thoughtworks Paranamer classes.
We use reflection at runtime with a schema and encountered the usual ClassNotFoundException
for Paranamer after I'd been rationalising our codebase -- which included the removal of the
avro-tools-1.6.3 JAR. The tools JAR contains the Paranamer classes which I was unaware of.
We operate in a very lightweight environment so the 10Mb tools JAR is not suitable for us
to deploy.

> I went looking for the Paranamer JAR and eventually found version 2.5. However, this
is BSD licensed. BSD is not suitable for us. Only Apache 2.0.

> What are our options? I'm mystified that the avro license does not mention Paranamer
at all. Can I take the classes from the tools JAR and construct my own Paranamer JAR and still
satisfy licensing?

> cheers,
> Peter

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential
unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.