avro-user mailing list archives

From Peter Cameron <peter.came...@2icworld.com>
Subject Paranamer issue
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:51:54 GMT
I've only just discovered the dependancy of Avro upon the thoughtworks Paranamer classes. We
use reflection at runtime with a schema and encountered the usual ClassNotFoundException for
Paranamer after I'd been rationalising our codebase -- which included the removal of the avro-tools-1.6.3
JAR. The tools JAR contains the Paranamer classes which I was unaware of. We operate in a
very lightweight environment so the 10Mb tools JAR is not suitable for us to deploy.

I went looking for the Paranamer JAR and eventually found version 2.5. However, this is BSD
licensed. BSD is not suitable for us. Only Apache 2.0.

What are our options? I'm mystified that the avro license does not mention Paranamer at all.
Can I take the classes from the tools JAR and construct my own Paranamer JAR and still satisfy
licensing?

cheers,
Peter