avro-user mailing list archives

From easyv...@gmail.com
Subject Re: avro compression using snappy and deflate
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:51:07 GMT
How big is the original data you are trying to compress?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2012, at 12:43 AM, snikhil0 <snikhil@telenav.com> wrote:

> I must be doing something wrong: I am writing out avro files with three options: a. no
codec b. deflate codec c. snappy codec I am measuring size of final avro file. In my observation,
the snappy file is larger than the original avro file? duh? code snippet: File fs = new File("$DATA/log_snappy.avro");
DatumWriter writer = new GenericDatumWriter( schema); dataFileWriter = new DataFileWriter(writer);
dataFileWriter.setCodec(CodecFactory.snappyCodec()); dataFileWriter.create(schema, fs); while(...){
GenericRecord datum = //get datum from object dataFileWriter.append(datum); dataFileWriter.flush();
} Thanks, Nikhil