avro-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Kenworthy <adwkenwor...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How does Avro mark (string) field delimition?
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:35:22 GMT
I don't have a specific use-class that is problematic, but was trying to understand how it
all works internally. Following your comment about indexes I looked in GenericDatumWriter
and sure enough the union is "tagged" so we know which part of the union was written:

case UNION:
        int index = data.resolveUnion(schema, datum);
        out.writeIndex(index);
        write(schema.getTypes().get(index), datum, out);
        break;

That's the bit I was missing! Thanks for the input.

Andrew