avro-user mailing list archives

From peterca <pe...@pbpartnership.com>
Subject RPC and dynamic IDLs
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:59:32 GMT
I'm new to the world of Avro, and investigating what it can do for a
forthcoming proof of concept. Simply put, I'm a Java application that needs
to send ad hoc commands to another Java (or C#) application (over HTTP).

Now the commands that are available are not known until runtime. I'm
interested in whether it's possible to use Avro RPC and some form of dynamic
IDL generation via introspection to provide the capabilities of service
discovery. Third parties will be writing Java (or C#) components that accept
specific commands (i.e. RPC calls) which aren't known to me apriori. I'd
rather not have third parties writing IDLs and would prefer them to e.g.
code against a tagging interface which can then be introspected for method
names and parameters at runtime.

Is there a way of achieving this with Avro, or are there any better
suggestions?