avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Asynchronous Clients With HttpTransceiver
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:47:42 GMT
On 12/10/2011 11:56 AM, James Baldassari wrote:
> It should be possible to add async support to HttpTransceiver as well.
> I think the only issue preventing HttpTransceiver from working
> asynchronously is the lack of support for out-of-order responses:

The HTTP protocol doesn't naturally support out-of-order responses.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.1.2.2

A way to do this over HTTP might be to use a Comet-like approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)

but I really think that async is better added to the non-HTTP
implementations.  In particular, I'd like to see it added to the SASL
implementation, SaslTransceiver.  I think the approach I outlined in
AVRO-625 still makes sense there, I just haven't had a chance to
implement it yet.  Alternately, NettyTransceiver could be made to
implement Avro's SASL profile and make it's async support
back-compatible through the approach outlined in AVRO-625.

Doug