avro-user mailing list archives

From Gaurav <gaurav...@gmail.com>
Subject Map having <string, Object>
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:16:01 GMT
Hi,

We have a requirement to send typed(key-value) pairs from server to clients
(in various languages).
Value can be one of primitive types or a map of same (string, Object) type.

One option is to construct record schema on the fly and second option is to
use unions to write schema in a general way.

Problems with 1 is that we have to construct schema everytime depending upon
keys and then attach the entire string schema to a relatively small record.

But in second schema, u don't need to write schema on the wire as it is
present with client also.

I have written one such sample schema:
{"type":"map","values":["int","long","float","double","string","boolean",{"type":"map","values":["int","long","float","double","string","boolean"]}]}

Do you guys think writing something of this sort makes sense or is there any
better approach to this?

Thanks,
Gaurav Nanda