avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <scottca...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exposing a constant in an Avro Schema
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:09:16 GMT
Named types (records, fields, fixed, enum) can store arbitrary user
properties attached to the schema ( similar to "doc" but no special
meaning).

Do you want this constant to be in every instance of your data object?  If
so, the enum is one way to do it.
If you simply want to push metadata along with the schema, use the schema
properties, they are name-value pairs.  For example you can have "myVersion"
attached to your schema for a record:

{"type":"record", "name":"bar.baz.FooRecord", "myVersion":"1.1", "fields": {
    {"name":"field1", "type":"int"},
  }
}