avro-user mailing list archives

From George Fletcher <gffle...@aol.com>
Subject Best practice for versioning IDLs?
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:20:18 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to incorporate a semver.org style versioning structure for the
IDL files we are using. The IDLs represent interfaces of services (ala
SOA).

We currently manage our IDL files separately from the implementation as
multiple services might use the same IDL. This makes it critical to have
the IDL's understand their version. I'd like to see our build process be
able to inject into the IDL the version from the build environment
(currently maven). Another option would be to define the version within
the IDL. However, the only way I can think of to do this, is to create a
"Version" Record within each IDL and then maybe have the Record contains
3 string fields (major, minor, patch).

Just wondering if there are any best practices already established for
this kind of IDL versioning.

Thanks,
George