avro-user mailing list archives

From "W.P. McNeill" <bill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How should I migrate 1.4 code to avro 1.5?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 22:46:07 GMT
I made changes that got rid of all the deprecated calls.  I think I am using
the 1.5 interface correctly.  However, I get a runtime error when I try to
deserialize into a class using a SpecificDataumReader.  The problem starts
at line 62 of AvroExample.java<https://github.com/wpm/AvroExample/blob/master/src/main/java/wpmcn/AvroExample.java#L62>.
 The code looks like this:

      DatumReader<Pair> reader = new SpecificDatumReader<Pair>(Pair.class);
      BinaryDecoder decoder =
DecoderFactory.get().binaryDecoder(out.toByteArray(), null);
      Pair result = reader.read(null, decoder);
      System.out.printf("Left: %s, Right: %s\n", result.left, result.right);

Where Pair is an object I have SpecificRecord that I have in this project.
When I deserialize with reader.read() I get the following runtime error:

org.apache.avro.generic.GenericData$Record cannot be cast to wpmcn.Pair
at wpmcn.AvroExample.serializeSpecific(AvroExample.java:64)
at wpmcn.AvroExample.main(AvroExample.java:73)

When I step into the debugger I see that the GenericDatumReader.read()
function has type D as GenericData.

Presumably I'm calling something wrong but I can't figure out what.