avro-user mailing list archives

From Yang <teddyyyy...@gmail.com>
Subject explicit schema verification?
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:17:17 GMT
when we declare some fields in a record, it's assumed to be mandatory unless
we specify it with a union {original_type, null}.

this feature is actually very useful to me: I declare a schema, and if some
new user creates a record, but fails to populate some mandatory field, I
want some mechanism to throw an exception.

currently I get this feature "by accident": if the user misses some
mandatory fields, when I send this record as a param to some RPC method, or
when I serialize it through SpecificDatumWriter, Avro throws a
NULLPointerException.  I can catch this and let user know that it's due to
lack of mandatory fields.

but instead of NPE, could we make Avro throw a more explicit exception, so
it's more descriptive?

Thanks
Yang