avro-user mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Combining schemas
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 20:45:42 GMT
Thanks Scott and Doug, see follow up below.

Done:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-872

> I also saw this blog post (
> http://www.infoq.com/articles/ApacheAvro#_ftnref6_7758) where the author
> had to write some nasty String.replace(..) code to combine schemas, but
> there's got to be a better way that this.
>

> We need to improve the ability to import multiple files when parsing.
>  Using the lower level Avro API you can parse the files yourself in an order
> that will work.
> I have simply put all my types in one file.  If you made one avsc file with
> both Position and Player in a JSON array it will complie.  It would look
> like:
> [
>   < position schema here>,
>   < player schema here>
> ]

Yes, I've used this approach in the past. Initially I was thinking that I
could write something to combine multiple files into a single InputStream
facade that generates a union like you describe, which could then be parsed.
I could then hold a handle to the union schema and provide a method to get a
given scheme type (i.e. the Player) by name. This is better than the String
replace(..) approach, but still a bit hacky.

 Using the lower level Avro API you can parse the files yourself in an order
> that will work.

How exactly would the approach work where you parse files in
reverse-dependency order work? This is something I'd like to explore and
maybe contribute a helper for. I've tried a few combinations of this
approach to no avail:

        Schema schema1 = Schema.parse(new
File("examples/java/avro/position.avsc"));
        Schema schema2 = schema1.parse(new
File("examples/java/avro/player.avsc"));

> Also FYI, it seems enum values can't start with numbers (i.e. '1B'). Is
> this a know issue or a feature? I haven't seen it documented anywhere. You
> get an error like this if the value starts with a number:
>
> org.apache.avro.SchemaParseException: Illegal initial character
>

> Enums are a named type.  The enum names must start with [A-Za-z_]  and
> subsequently contain only [A-Za-z0-9_].
> http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.5.1/spec.html#Names

I hadn't noticed that before, thanks.

Done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-871