avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <scottca...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why Utf8 (vs String)?
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 01:53:23 GMT
Also, Utf8 caches the result of toString(), so that if you call toString()
many times, it only allocates the String once.
It also implements the CharSequence interface, and many libraries in the
JRE accept CharSequence.

Note that Utf8 is mutable and exposes its backing store (byte array).
String is immutable.  Be careful with how you use Utf8 objects if you hold
on to them for a long time or pass them to other code -- users should not
expect similar characteristics to String for general use.