avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: Schema with multiple Record types Java API
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 02:10:43 GMT
AvroIDL can handle imports, but it generates classes.  The Avro API's for this can be used
to generate Schemas without making objects if you wish.

The Avro schema compiler (*.avsc, *.avpr) does not support imports, it is a feature requested
by many but not contributed by anyone.

You may be interested in the code-gen capabilities of Avro, which has a Velocity templating
engine to create Java classes based on schemas.  This can be customized to generate classes
in custom ways.

However, if you are using Avro to serialize objects that have pre-existing classes, the Reflect
API or an enhancement of it may be more suitable.

More information on your use case may help to point you in the right direction.

-Scott

On 7/14/11 6:43 PM, "Peter Wolf" <opus111@gmail.com<mailto:opus111@gmail.com>>