avro-user mailing list archives

From Vivek Hungund <Vivek.Hung...@Incentica.net>
Subject Populating nested records using GenericRecord
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:31:29 GMT
Hi,

I¹ve got the following schema:
{
      "name" : "Profile",
      "type" : "record",
      "fields" : [
                      { "name" : "firstName", "type" : "string" },
                    { "name" : "address" , "type" : {
                                                        "type" : "record",
                                                        "name" :
"AddressUSRecord",
                                                        "fields" : [
                                                                    { "name"
: "address1" , "type" : "string" },
                                                                    { "name"
: "address2" , "type" : "string" },
                                                                    { "name"
: "city" , "type" : "string" },
                                                                    { "name"
: "state" , "type" : "string" },
                                                                    { "name"
: "zip" , "type" : "int" },
                                                                    { "name"
: "zip4", "type": "int" }
                                                                   ]
                                                    }
                    }
          ]
}

I¹m using a GenericRecord to represent each Profile that gets created.  To
add a firstName, it¹s easy to do the following:

Schema  sch =  Schema.parse(schemaFile);
DataFileWriter<GenericRecord> fw = new DataFileWriter<GenericRecord>(new
GenericDatumWriter<GenericRecord>()).create(sch, new File(outFile));
GenericRecord r = new GenericData.Record(sch);
r.put(³firstName², ³John²);
fw.append(r);

But how would I set the city, for example?  How do I represent the key as a
string that the r.put method can understand?

Thanks