avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: Feature for Date/Time Data Types in Avro?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:20:03 GMT

On 1/18/11 9:30 AM, "Doug Cutting" <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

>On 01/18/2011 09:19 AM, Jeremy Custenborder wrote:
>> I agree with storing it as a long. How would you handle this in code
>> generation and serialization? Would you envision hooks during code
>> generation that would generate a member that is the native date time
>> for the language?
>
>Yes.  Just as "bytes" is represented in Java by java.nio.ByteBuffer,
>"org.apache.avro.lib.Date" could be represented by java.util.Date.
>
>> Does the serializer handle a date object that is
>> native to the language?
>
>Yes, serializers and deserializers would need to implement this mapping.
>
>Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

That works.  There are several other data types that might fall into a
similar bucket in the future.  We should reserve 'org.apache.avro.lib' or
some other namespace as permanently reserved for this purpose.

>> I really like the idea of having a standard
>> datetime as a supported type of avro. It's a problem that everyone has
>> to solve on their own.
>
>Care to file a Jira issue?  I won't have time to work on it for at least
>a few weeks, but someone else could, or I can work on it later.

We definitely need a JIRA ticket for this, there are several details
better discussed there.