avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feature for Date/Time Data Types in Avro?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:42:49 GMT
The way that I have imagined doing this is to specify a standard schema
for dates, then implementations can optionally map this to a native date
type.

The schema could be a record containing a long, e.g.:

{"type": "record", "name":"org.apache.avro.lib.Date", "fields" : [
   {"name": "time", "type": "long"}
  ]
}

Java could read this into a java.util.Date, Python to a datetime, etc.
Such conventions could be added to the Avro specification.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Doug