avro-user mailing list archives

From David Jeske <dav...@gmail.com>
Subject another question - async handlers
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 04:48:58 GMT
I have another Avro question that isn't obvious from the current docs..

Does the current Avro compiler (for Java or C# stubs) support fully async
handlers?

By this I don't mean just non-blocking I/O for the I/O loop, but handlers
which can return their results via callback. I want a server-handler sub
that provides callbacks that can be used later (after the handler function
thread has returned), to return results -- so my handler doesn't need to sit
on the rpc calling thread until results are available.

It seems someone made some experimental Thrift patches to do this for C++,
but they were not accepted. It's possible the Thrift python twisted
interface does this (I don't know). However, I can't seem to find any
reference to this being available in Thrift for Java or C#. They only have
non-blocking I/O support, but the handler thread has to directly return the
result, which means it has to consume the thread until the result is
available.

http://markmail.org/thread/7xl2fpwn3hvao2jh#query:+page:1+mid:7xl2fpwn3hvao2jh+state:results

Make sense? Is this something that Avro has now? or not yet?