avro-user mailing list archives

From David Jeske <dav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about completely untagged data...
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:16:16 GMT
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

> Protobuf binary only has sizes, not types.

I've always thought of the encoding as having types, but overloading ints
and floats and lettting the decoder figure it out. (possibly because at one
point I think it was actually types, but then new features were overloaded
on existing bits) But yes, thinking of it as having sizes seems more
correct. The most important part for me is that the fields are delimited.

Thrift's efficient encodings probably also just have sizes.

Do you have a reference to this? The stuff I've been told (mostly from
ex-googlers turned facebookers) is that it has a byte for types. The only
documentation I'm able to find is this new compact format
design<http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/New_compact_binary_protocol>which
still has types but encodes them more compactly.  (of course there is
always the code, but I havn't ready that).

I suppose Thrift is a bit of a wildcard in attempting to support multiple
binary formats.