avro-user mailing list archives

From David Jeske <dav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about completely untagged data...
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 06:26:05 GMT
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Bruce Mitchener
<bruce.mitchener@gmail.com>wrote:

> If your schemas are next to your data and part of the same storage system,
> aren't you also similarly worried about protecting your data against loss
> and corruption?

Absolutly. Still, things happen. It may be the number of times I've seen odd
corruption cause trouble in supposedly reliable systems, but I like being
careful.

> I'm not sure why one would be separate from the other in terms of backups,
> disaster prevention or recovery?

Think of every Mysql, Oracle, MS-SQL server instance out there.What
percentage of them are backed up properly? Certainly not 100%. What about
embedded storage systems, on phones, cameras, iPad, field-devices,
everywhere? What about filesystems? (We have redundant superblocks and fsck
for a reason, even with journaling).

Every one of those systems, at some point, has had corruption that could
have caused major pain for a user, but was mitigated by some sensible safety
checks on the part of a developer. I have seen enough small and
larger corruptions to know that the world is a nasty nasty place for real
software operations, and desire some sensible safety nets.

I hope those give you some insights into my motivations. I understand
someone choosing to make a different choice, but those are my
sensibilities.