avro-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Campbell <deegs...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 1.2 to 1.4 datafile conversion
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2010 18:25:26 GMT
Thanks for the info Doug and the patch looks promising.

So our logic for replacement could be something like

upon datafile read request,
try to load with 1.4
    if fail, try with 1.2 reader you provided,
get records, save out with 1.4 after update

Should that be doable with what you've provided?

From: Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org>
To: user@avro.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:33:10 PM
Subject: Re: 1.2 to 1.4 datafile conversion

On 11/03/2010 03:11 PM, Douglas Campbell wrote:
> Are there any tools for this because as far as we can tell 1.2 datafiles
> are unreadable by 1.4 apis?

Not that I know of.  I didn't think anyone had used the 1.2 datafile format!  But, if some
did, a format converter would be a good tool to have.

I filed a Jira issue about this:

I attached a patch to that that adds a class that should be able to read 1.2-format files.
 Rewriting them in the current format should then be simple.  Do you require a command-line
based tool?

Please follow up on that issue.

Thanks,

Doug