avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question about completely untagged data...
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:25:27 GMT
On 11/28/2010 08:50 PM, David Jeske wrote:
> However, it's
> important for me to have a contingency plan in case somehow, someday
> there is ever corruption that disconnected the schema-ID from the actual
> schema.

If this worst-case transpired, I don't think it would be too difficult
for most datasets to reconstruct the schema by examining the data.  With
ProtocolBuffers and Thrift, if the IDL is lost you'd be in a similar,
although simpler, situation of having to figure out field names and
types.  Folks regularly reverse-engineer much more complex stuff than this.

That said, you could store the Id->Schema mapping in multiple places.
Among other places, it could be in your source code repository.

Doug