avro-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Campbell <deegs...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 1.2 to 1.4 datafile conversion
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:54:39 GMT
Hi Doug,

just logged a vote in favor 692.

Is there an ETA for 1.5?

From: Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org>
To: user@avro.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:08:23 PM
Subject: Re: 1.2 to 1.4 datafile conversion

On 11/09/2010 02:46 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> For example, we could add a datafile reader interface that both the 1.2
> and 1.4 version implement, then have a factory that creates one or the
> other after reading the file header. Then you'd not need to rewrite
> files: the Java implementation would be able to read both versions
> transparently.

Just realized I already added that interface:

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/FileReader.html

(This was added to permit transparent reading of SequenceFiles using Avro reflection.)

So, in AVRO-692, I'd need to make DataFileReader12 implement this, then add a factory that
creates an appropriate reader after sniffing a file.

Doug