avro-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Hunt <hu...@internode.on.net>
Subject Re: How to remove the debug info?
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:43:13 GMT
Hi Doug,

I think that the topic of what to log in a log file is an interesting one. I've personally
come to learn that what should go into the log file at INFO level and up is what is going
to be useful to an administrator audience - not a developer audience. I don't think that logging
network transactions is useful to the administrator from a general perspective - they just
want to understand about things that they should attend to.

There's a great book that also covers this: http://www.pragprog.com/titles/mnee/release-it

Kind regards,
Christopher

On 13/11/2010, at 10:32 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 11/12/2010 03:08 PM, Christopher Hunt wrote:
>> I'd say that's definitely DEBUG/TRACE level information.
>
> I think it may depend on the application.  For server-side and distributed applications
it's common to log each network transaction by default, no?  But if folks feel strongly about
it, feel free to file a Jira issue.  I would be happy to change the level of such messages
from INFO to DEBUG, provided no one objects.