avro-user mailing list archives

From "R. Tyler Croy" <ty...@monkeypox.org>
Subject Re: Why does the Python client use httplib?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:34:42 GMT

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 08/25/2010 05:54 PM, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
> >I'm wondering if there was any specific reason for using httplib over urllib2
> >in the first place?
>
> Not that I know of, and hammer's on vacation.
>
> >[0] http://github.com/rtyler/avro/tree/1.3.3-redirect
>
> This is mostly compatible, since the use of httlib or urllib2 is
> hidden within HttpTransceiver.  The only regression is that you
> removed the close() method and that connections are no longer
> reused.  I don't have a strong opinion about whether this is
> acceptable.  One option might be to create a subclass of
> HttpTransceiver that supports redirects but not connection reuse?

I've accounted for your suggestions in the most recent revision of the patch
which I've pushed to:

    http://github.com/rtyler/avro/tree/1.4.0-redirect

I've also attached these changes to the following issue in JIRA:

I honestly don't think there's any gain in "reusing" HTTPConnection objects in
Python but to get this change included as soon as possible, I'd rather just
create a separate class.

- R. Tyler Croy
  GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero