avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: is avro production ready?
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:18:17 GMT

On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Ran Tavory wrote:

> ok, I know this question has many answers, but try to be honest ;)
>
> I'd like to use avro in several use cases:
> 1. RPC. Both using json over HTTP and binary over TCP (will use both modes). Async RPC
clients/servers isn't a showstopper but could also be nice
See Doug's notes.
> 2. As a serialization mechanism to send messages over AMQ or save object on memcached
> 3. Perhaps use for saving space in logs (rather than plain text log files) and in combination
with flume. I haven't thought that out yet.

The above two are production ready use cases. I do both right now (in Java), in addition to
processing Avro log files in hadoop (as inputs and outputs, but not intermediate data since
Pig/Hive control that).
I expect the Java APIs for #2 - type use cases will evolve over time to be more user-friendly
and improve performance, but what is there now gets the job done.