avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: is avro production ready?
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:09:26 GMT
On 07/19/2010 11:43 AM, Ran Tavory wrote:
> I'd like to use avro in several use cases:
> 1. RPC. Both using json over HTTP and binary over TCP (will use both
> modes). Async RPC clients/servers isn't a showstopper but could also be nice

Binary RPC over HTTP is the supported mode today.  We'd eventually like
to standardize on a second, non-HTTP, TCP-based high-performance, async,
secure, RPC transport.  There are some TCP-based transports implemented
that support request-only messages and async i/o, but these are
non-standard and might not provide a good basis for long-term
interoperability.

> 2. As a serialization mechanism to send messages over AMQ or save object
> on memcached

This should work well today.

> 3. Perhaps use for saving space in logs (rather than plain text log
> files) and in combination with flume. I haven't thought that out yet.

Log files are a good use of Avro today.  Avro 1.4.0 will be released
soon and contains APIs to write MapReduce programs that process Avro
data files.  Support for Avro in Flume is expected soon.

Doug