avro-user mailing list archives

From "R. Tyler Ballance" <ty...@monkeypox.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Avro 1.3.3
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:22:35 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010, Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'd like to announce the release of Apache Avro 1.3.3. The release notes are
> available at http://s.apache.org/avro-1.3.3, and you can download the new
> bits from http://avro.apache.org/releases.html. This release includes
> important bug fixes for the Python and Ruby implementations and incremental
> improvements for the Java, C++, and C implementations.

It looks like r951219 breaks Python RPC compatibilyt with previous releases
since the "string" type is now part of the `errors` union.

In my case, I already have "string" as part of my errors union (passing back
errors as JSON in some cases) so now my schemas rase SchemaParseExceptions
(http://avro.pastebin.com/pfSempR7).

I'm curious if it's intentional to raise an exception on duplicate types in the
union, if so, what's my best course of action here? Switch to 1.3.3 across the
board all at once while changing my schemas (eek!)?

Cheers,
-R. Tyler Ballance
  Jabber: rtyler@jabber.org
  GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler