avro-user mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: building the spec
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 06:39:52 GMT
Don't make the mistake that I did and think you can simply change the symlink to point to the
directory with Java 1.5 -- it actually has to be placed where the symlink is.

For posterity-- The below is from my email on the topic from April 12, 2010:

----
OS-X Snow Leopard tips:
For those in a similar situation, the work-around posted in AVRO-318 makes Java 5 the default
for most apps and overrides Java 6.  But turning off Java 6 is not necessary.
Getting a copy of Java 1.5 and placing it in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0
and setting up the links is sufficient.  You do not have to make Java 1.5 the default and
can continue to use Java 1.6 for everything but Forrest.   I used the first few steps here:
http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard but stopped after recreating the
symbolic links.
Additionally, the build.xml will not run without passing in -Djava5.home=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home
-Dforrest.home=<location of Forrest>.
----

On May 31, 2010, at 11:31 PM, Jeff Hodges wrote:

> Sigh, I didn't notice the symlink before. That's what's happening. Thanks.
> --
> Jeff
>
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com> wrote:
>> Are you on Snow Leopard?  If so, you manually have to install a copy of Java 5 and
overwrite the Mac symlinks in just the right way.  You don't have to change the default system
JVM to 1.5 though.

>> Does the symlink /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0 point
to a 1.6 JVM?  That is what it does on Snow Leopard by default. forrest is somehow not forward
compatible with Java 1.6.  The trick to getting it to work is to both set the property to
that symlink, and make sure that symlink points to an actual java 1.5 install.

>> There are a few threads from the Avro dev list over the past ~7 months that discuss
the steps needed to get it to work in more detail.